In the two years that I’ve had Tootie and Sanai, I have gotten to know their individual personalities quite well. I love them both fiercely but for different reasons.
Sanai(grey and white, approx 5 years old,breed: unknown)
1. The first time I met Sanai,she hissed at me and I immediately backed off. She hated me from the get go and it’s probably because I mistook her for Tootie. She demanded my respect that first day and put me on notice that she had boundaries. I love her for that.
2. I am a proud thicky thick and so I have a soft spot for Sanai’s girth. She is pretty heavy but she is also solid and carries herself with a bit of a snooty air which has earned her the AKA of The Duchess Sanai
3. On the occasions when Sanai will allow you the honor of touching her, she directs EXACTLY where your hands go. No sudden movements which can earn you a swipe from her lethal claws. But you can rub the sides of her mouth,her neck,and ever so gently tug on her ears. If you think that you’ll get tired and stop, think again. She will use that bulldozer of a head to not-so- gently nudge you back to the task at hand. And once she’s started drooling,you’ll be there for AT LEAST half an hour. I love how she controls love and affection, can easily reject you and then turn it around and become putty in your lap.
4. Her eyes. They are so intimidating in the shadows of the night. They look like two bright soulless orbs watching your every move. During the day,they are an almost transluscent shade of green that suck you right into her world.
5. Her run. When she runs away from approaching feet,it looks almost like a gallop but instead of a dainty noise,it makes a thump. And she has to turn her entire body in the direction she wants to go in(because of her long legs)and then gallop away.
Tootie(all black, approx 3 years old,breed: American Short Hair)
1. Tootie has a very playful and mishievous spirit. Her favorite naughty things to do is pluck the side of the litter box until she gets chased out of the bathroom, throwing up food she’s binged then hiding, jumping on tables,counters,and stoves. When Amani is in school, I still don’t get a break because Tootie is basically a toddler. I love her little girl ways.
2. Tootie is completely free with her affection…as long as you have snacks.She has special affections for my brother and licks his head on his days off from work. She will come when you make kissy noises and shows her love by gently headbutting you and rubbing her face against your cheek. Adorable!
3. She is tough. Tootie recently became sick with carbon monoxide poison and she got so sick that she actually suffered a seizure. She lost a lot of weight,was pretty lethargic and I thought she was going to die. But she fought for her life day by day and even showed her regaining strength by hissing at one of my outdoor cats when he tried to come into the house. In fact, she is very protective of her home and will hiss at all outsiders though she never actually attacks them. She is a feisty girl,just like the other women in our family.
4. She loves to eat. Tootie loves meat but after her illness, I discovered she has a wide range of foods she loves. Some include, ice cream, blue cheese dressing, cream cheese and jelly on a kaiser roll, and grits and cheese.
5. Being an introvert, I can appreciate Tootie’s love of solitude. Amani can sometimes overwhelm her with affection,so to escape she will blend into the nearest shadow she finds. Without a flashlight, she is impossible to find and I love her ability to become invisible.